2a010641-7103-44ee-8f06-8384475ff22c

Greece In America’s Newsmaker of the Month: Alexandra Gravas, and her interview detailing her work and recent recital at Georgia State!

09c0338c-5a27-4bf8-ad1d-f254a661c3ee

Check out Greece In America’s Newsmaker of the Month: Alexandra Gravas, and her interview detailing her work and recent recital at Georgia State! Her interview was featured on the same page as President Obama’s visit to Greece!

“In the occasion of her performance at the Florence Kopleff Recital Hall in Atlanta, world-renowned Greek mezzo soprano Alexandra Gravas spoke to “Greece in America” about how the Hellenic culture and heritage inspires her work and about classical singing and opportunities for talented Greek artists. Ms Gravas belongs to the new generation of Greek singers and combines the western traditional classical singing with her Greek musical roots. ”

Her interview:

At your recent concert in Atlanta, GA you presented a special program of Modern Greek poetry set to music, celebrating the most prominent Poet of Greek Diaspora, Constantine Cavafy. As a Diaspora Greek yourself, what does it mean to be a cosmopolitan Greek nowadays?

I have always felt lucky to be part of the Hellenic World and its Heritage, and that is surely not reduced to one’s nationality! Being a 2nd Generation Greek from Germany with a Greek passport has made me from the start a Cosmopolitan in its true sense. All my upbringing in a multicultural open society has given me the opportunity to widen my horizon as a person and surely as an artist. The discovery of my Hellenic Heritage in music and poetry has become a very important part of my concert performances worldwide. In specific my latest concert project “Greek Inspirations” has traveled to China, Mexico, Brasil, Chile and Europe and it combines the elements of Hellenic subjects either in words or in music with other cultures, as for example with Chinese, Mexican, French, Spanish or others. And I hope I shall discover more and more along the way. The Hellenic Idea is Cosmopolitan and not limited, if you know how to present it!

Read her whole interview with “Greece in America” here:

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6cb2d297ff616984b41ff4bae&id=6eb4d6c6e8